Legendary actress Elizabeth Taylor once said, “Jewelry has the power to be a little thing that makes you feel unique” and there is no doubt that even a simple outfit can be instantly elevate by just adding a single piece of jewellery. May choose makes a big difference. It can definitely make or break your look.
Standing in front of the mirror, we often spend 10-15 minutes figuring out which jewelery goes with which outfit. The constant nervousness of whether or not to coordinate, how much to coordinate, yet keep it wonderfully coveted, has been the thing many of us ponder over most of the time.
Keeping the situation in perspective, this illusion is an art and you are the painter. Fashion experts encourage doing it however you want, experiment, because there are so many opportunities to style and so many ways to make it interesting and fun.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, jewelery designers Purvi Asher and Rupesh Jain and Rupesh Jain, founders of Candere by Kalyan Jewellers, list down 10 tips for choosing the best jewelery for your outfit:
1. Pearl and gold hoops – Whether it is regular workwear or a casual dress like running errands, one can enhance these looks by adding subtle pearls or a pair of small plain gold danglers. Gold, as a metal, always compliments skin, especially 18 or 14 karat, and gives an edge to any outfit and makes it look stylish. These two combinations are always complimenting and chic.
2. Solitaire – Everyone loves Solitaire! Not just because it is rock solid, but because of its simplicity, attractiveness, status or because it is a gift. Pairing them with any outfit always adds to one’s look. However, sometimes one can skip the regular stud and mix it in with extensions. Any colorful solitaire, with gold and diamond studded hangs, brings a unique look to outfit and style. These beautiful colored stones combined with the simple hang are unique and trendy too.
3. Statement Jewelery – A very typical layman’s point of view is that an outfit should complement or contrast jewellery. But I believe that both of them should complement each other. The most important thing should match one’s personality. Weddings are a once in a lifetime event where all of us already think about the outfits and jewellery. The most common mistake a person makes and should be avoided is “overdoing”. It not only makes the whole look irresistible but also makes the whole look very complex. Outfit and jewelry both need equal attention. While wearing a statement piece, let the jewelery bring out your personality, such as a gold statement or diamond, necklines like these make a lot of sense here. A stunning necklace or large chandelier in gold, diamonds, or polki can go with earrings to create an occasion look without clashing too much with the outfit. Silver jewelery is another apt choice which is back in trend and can be styled for any function big or small.
4. Earrings – When we think of earrings the first thing that comes to our mind is the traditional dress. Pairing the jhumka with Indo-western gives a very edgy and earthy look. Be it a colorful stone jhumka with a combination of diamonds, gold and silver, or be it plain gold cutwork, pair it with solid colored silk or printed kurti and pants and see how it turns into a stylishly beautiful look. .
5. Refurbish or Recreate – Just as one recreates an outfit, so can jewelery too. A simple chain that someone has worn for a long time adds a bit of zing to it by mixing colored stones, gold or diamonds. A new look is created by doing jewelery makeovers with minimal cost.
6. Occasion Wise Jewelry – The first step in choosing the right jewelery is to consider the venue or event you have planned. You definitely want to wear great clothes and all eyes are on you! A mix of statement and minimal jewelery pieces is ideal to strike a balance. If you are going to a wedding or a party and going for a heavy outfit, then go for jewelery that is light and vice versa. In case of daily wear or office look, it is ideal to stick with lightweight and beautiful jewelery designs that are versatile and go with all your looks.
7. Jewelry to compliment the color of your outfit – Yellow, white and rose gold are metallic colors that generally compliment any outfit. So, you can have a collection depending on your preference or the one that suits you the most. However, if your outfit has elements or hints of gold or silver, it is recommended to add similar colored jewelery to complement it. If you pair white gold jewelery with an outfit that has a hint of yellow gold gota work or embroidery on it, it will definitely look different and be balanced. You can also opt for diamond jewellery, as it will complement most of your outfits and make you stand out.
8. Mix and Match – If you are someone who loves to have fun with your jewelry, then you must try mixing and matching it. You can either play with different designs or with different metallic colors. But the key here is to have subtle pieces so that the balance still remains. You can also stack and layer the pieces to add character and drama to your look.
9. Diamonds are forever – Diamonds are a must have in every woman’s collection. When it comes to diamond jewelry, you can never go wrong. You can style a set or just a pair of stud earrings to instantly elevate your outfit, making you look stunning and classy.
10. Reflection of your style – No matter what jewelery you go for, it is important that it matches your personality and style. If you prefer to wear something that is simple and minimalist, then get designs that are versatile and that can be paired with many outfits. Go for pieces that are evergreen and last forever but at the same time, have one or two pieces that act as a statement and can be styled to instantly jazz up a plain outfit.
Whatever jewelery you choose, it should make you feel beautiful and confident because in the end that is what matters.